on 27/02/2013 17:22 kron said the following:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Dell notebook (Latitude E6530) on which I track
> 9-STABLE. It served excellently until mid-Jan when it started
> to panic a few times a week or so:

> cpuid = 3; apic id = 03
> fault virtual address = 0x10116
> fault code            = supervisor read data, page not present
> instruction pointer   = 0x20:0xffffffff802bc360
> stack pointer         = 0x28:0xffffff848f6db390
> frame pointer         = 0x28:0xffffff848f6db3c0
> code segment          = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
> = DPL 0, pres 1, long 1, def32 0, gran 1
> processor eflags      = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
> current process               = 2199 (conky)
> trap number           = 12
> panic: page fault
> cpuid = 3
>
> Before the panics kernel used to emit messages like:
> ACPI Error: No object attached to node 0xfffffe00094a51c0
> (20110527/exresnte-138)
> ACPI Error: Method execution failed [\_SB_.BAT0._UID] (Node
> 0xfffffe00094a51c0), AE_AML_NO_OPERAND (20110527/uteval-113)

This looks very much like a heisenbug reported several times here.
E.g.:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-acpi/2012-December/007962.html

> I suspected it started with a BIOS update (A07 -> A09).
> Following the handbook, I took a look at acpidump. Sad to say,
> it all was Greek to me, I could't even compile it back using
> iasl (35 Errors). However, while skimming it I noticed names
> of many versions of Windows and in addition to that, "Linux".
> Just to try, I put hw.acpi.osname="Linux" to /boot/loader.conf.
> Since that I've never get the panic again (for ~3 weeks).
> I hope this is not just a coincidence.

It very well could be.

> Maybe this experience can help somebody else.
>
> If any of ACPI developers wants to play with the problem
> I can provide more info (sorry, no crashdump, was not enabled),
> do tests, etc.

Please at least enable printing of a stack trace.
Better do get the crash dump.

P.S. I suspect that the issue we are discussing with hps in this mailing list
could be related to this problem.

--
Andriy Gapon