On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 8:09 PM, Dan Lukes <d...@obluda.cz> wrote:

> On 6.1.2015 4:57, Kevin Oberman wrote:
>
>> acpi_throttle0: <ACPI CPU Throttling> on cpu0
>>> acpi_throttle0: P_CNT from P_BLK 0x1810
>>> est0: <Enhanced SpeedStep Frequency Control> on cpu0
>>> acpi_throttle1: <ACPI CPU Throttling> on cpu1
>>> acpi_throttle1: failed to attach P_CNT
>>> device_attach: acpi_throttle1 attach returned 6
>>>

> Attach to cpu0 successful, but failing on non-zero cpu's ?
>
> I never tried to analyze it, but I can deny it new issue.
>
> I never seen other result as far as I remember.
>
> Dan

I missed that it attached on cpu0. I think this is reality if throttling is
done as it was in older CPUs. It required 3 physical pins on the CPU and
predates (by some time) multi-core processors. Throttling in FreeBSD refers
only to the old external form and is not related in any way to TCC, ST, or
EST, all of which also do dynamic CPU Throttling, but in much more
effective ways. Since throttling used physical pins, I have doubts that
multi-core processors actually allocate three pins per CPU for a technique
that is totally obsolete. It might be implemented as a compatibility thing
and is really just TCC in disguise or they allocate three pins per chip and
throttle all CPUs at once. If it is the latter, the behavior of only one
CPU attaching is really more realistic than throttling per CPU.

In either case, it is still best to disable it.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkober...@gmail.com