On 2005-06-22 11:09, Warren Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Ted Mittelstaedt said:
>> The 4a users, by contrast, may be attracted to Linux initially due
>> to the ease-of-entry issue your bringing up.  But they try it and
>> find out that it's dumbed-down interface gets in the way just as
>> much as the Windows dumbed-down interface.  That's where I think the
>> majority of new FreeBSD converts come from - people that started
>> with Windows, outgrew it, tried Linux for a while and got disgusted
>> with the hand-holding, then went to FreeBSD and never looked back.
>
> I think you're probably right.  This pretty much describes how I came to
> FreeBSD.  I just wonder if there is some way to shorten the trip and take
> Linux completely out of the loop.  Looking back, I wish I had known about
> FreeBSD sooner.  It would have saved me quite a bit of frustration.  I
> think FreeBSD would have been a much better platform for me to learn UNIX
> on because I wouldn't have had to endure a paradigm shift in order to
> continue the learning process.  However, I suppose that having used Linux
> made me appreciate the fundamental quality of FreeBSD more than I may have
> otherwise.

Hehehe.  <AOL>Me too</AOL>

These days, I don't use Linux if I have a choise, but I do appreciate
the time spent learning the ropes of a UNIX-like system with early
Slackware versions.

- Giorgos

(Who was converted to FreeBSD after several years of Linux, and that by
sheer accident, when he tried to install OpenBSD and utterly trashed his
partition table, losing all traces of Linux *AND* that other OS, in a
[now] fondly remembered evening.)