Christer Hermansson wrote:

Hi.

FreeBSD 6.0R don't support 386 processors according to the release notes, maybe it's time to change the name of the i386 platform to the x86 platform.

Not very important issue for me but it feels little strange to have a i386 platform that don't support/work on i386 processors.

http://www.freebsd.org/releases/6.0R/relnotes-i386.html#KERNEL
"Support for 80386 processors (the I386_CPU kernel configuration option) has been removed. Users running this class of CPU should use FreeBSD 5./X/ or earlier."

Christer Hermansson

It's a lot of names around us, not only in the computer world, that has become less suitable during the time because of progress and other things, but still is in use because of different factors.

I missed to write in my first mail that I also have the feeling (maybe I'm wrong) that "x86" is more recognized / common in the media nowadays.

However in this case maybe it's best to keep "i386" because a lot of things depends on this name and it would be a lot of work/problems to change it.

This was just one thought I had but it seems to be a bad one.

Best regards Christer Hermansson

I totally agree with you, x86 is a much more recognized representation. I'd just hate to be the one having to do all the code modifications to "Make it Work(tm)"

find /usr/src /usr/ports -type f | xargs sed -i '.bak' "s/i386/x86/g"

Only in a perfect "world" right? :)

Regards,
   Frank