> PS... ??One more question... ??Being that Linux emulation is available
> as a port for the BSDs, I would assume (but haven't taken the time to
> research) that GPLd code is used. ??If there comes to be issues with
> Linux, what would that mean for BSDs compatibility in regards to
> emulation?

No GPL'd code is used for the Linux ABI support. Have a look at the code
under src/sys/compat/linux/. And look at the linux(4) manpage.

Nevertheless, you will probably use glibc and other programs built for
Linux that are GPL'd ...

I think you will find many answers to your other questions in this lists
(or the chat list) archives. I don't recall any discussion hear about
Novell/Microsoft deal though.