On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 10:38:53PM +0100, Miguel Lopes Santos Ramos wrote:

> On the other hand, I'm also not too keen on ports which require user
> intervention on install, because of batch installs and upgrades.
> Maybe that is not so crucial to a port like bsdstats, but still, wouldn't it
> just be better to let the user go add bsdstats_enable to rc.conf?
>
> I mean, we all have to do it for such basic things such as xdm or linux
> compatibility. If every FreeBSD user is "required" to do such configuration
> changes for those basic ports, why not for bsdstats?

Actually, I think a good solution for purposes batch installs and other
situations where you want to minimize user interaction might be to insert
a commented line in rc.conf.  Of course, I imagine someone will disagree
that scattering commented lines all over rc.conf is a good idea.

Another option that might make sense would be to provide a post-install
informational file that collects information related to post installation
options for all ports/packages when they're added to the system (not just
when added to ports).  Such a resource would also help people learn
something about ports they're installing for the first time, or changes
to the ports.  On the other hand, it might require a little more work on
the part of port maintainers.

MacUser, Nov. 1990: "There comes a time in the history of any project when
it becomes necessary to shoot the engineers and begin production."