30.12.07 @ 06:29 Matt Olander wrote:

The first part, "Talk to my computer people.", shows a remarkable
ammount of restraint. As anyone who has dealt with end users knows,
often times, they will attempt many incorrect things, before talking
to the "computer people".

The second part demonstrates a clear understanding of what its like to
attempt to patch, or for that matter, build, or even use KDE. I doubt
anyone here would argue that it does not "mess with your head", so
clearly, "use other software" is sound advice!

Haha, definitely neat. What I'm curious about is why this would be the number one question for him. Does anybody know if the Ukrainian government is using KDE/FreeBSD heavily?

Alas, I think, no. This question to Ukraninan president was a result of flashmob, with ex-USSR sociocultural IT origins in it. Several years ago in one of russian IRC-nets there were a dialog at a fan channel of Japan animation:

- Is this channel about Anime?
- Yes.
- How do I patch KDE2 under FreeBSD?

The humor was in that at these old times Anime-fans were almost all technical geeks and spent their time talking about Unix-like OSes, not about Anime. With years this quote about Anime and KDE became very popular (in fact, a mem). So when Presidents of Russia and Kazakhstan organized their conferences with questions coming via internet-voting, question about KDE2 won the first place (along with other humorous questions), though was never answered. Now, the answer at last was given by Ukrainian President, although not too-technical, so fans made a picture with "right answer":

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/8606/kde2vr1.png

;-)

--
WBR, Vadim Goncharov