05.01.08 @ 07:10 Peter Jeremy wrote:

So why we are losing users due to this "feature",

Other than your previous post, I don't recall seeing this claim before.
Can you provide references to people stating that they are abandoning
FreeBSD because it doesn't support swap reservation?  I've had a quick
look at can't find anything.  Definitely, no-one considers it enough of
a problem to have raised a PR.

Those people usually do not read or write any maillists, PRs, etc. - they simply take another OS, which they heard of support from commercial vendors, and which CAN do what they want, in this case - enable space reservation for at least some processes. I don't remember all of that people, but at least one lives in my town, and it is him program (with his name/address in comments) which I gave as illustration of problem in my first letter of this thread. And this man now says everyone that FreeBSD is good for education/small systems, but unsuitable for serious data-mining tasks...

Can I find somewhere summary of that discussions in archives?

Since you're making the claim, how about _you_ produce the evidence.

I don't have too many time to search through all bikeshedding on a non-native language. But sometime ago this topic was discussed in russian NNTP BSD group, which shown in actuality of problem for some people - as a result, I was told that Kostik Belousov made a patch partially solving problem. So - why do not have tunable, which can pleasure both camps? Every time when people want XXX and others want the opposite - make it an option to not loose any of them...

In general, swap over-commit is a good idea because it enables you to
get by with far less resources than would otherwise be necessary - I've
disabled swap reservation on some systems at work to allieviate problems
that it was causing and I haven't seen any subsequent issues due to
overcommit being in use.

There were case in our town when on heavy loaded web-server apache processes were dying on memory pressure - aforementioned man said that was due to overcommit and OOM killer working. I don't know about details, but surely it could lead to switching to Linux from FreeBSD... So I think, if that users are mistaking, we need an article explaininfg why memory overcommit is good and where are they wrong - we need people think good about FreeBSD, yeah? Possibly with tunable and description of it's bad effects, of course.

--
WBR, Vadim Goncharov