On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 4:33 AM, Dag-Erling Smørgrav <d...@des.no> wrote:

> Dag-Erling Smørgrav <d...@des.no> writes:
> > You can get a meaningful comparison by counting distfiles on our side
> > and SRPMs / DSCs on the Linux side.
>
> I asked a coworker who's a Debian developer; he says Debian has ~30k
> packages from ~20k distinct sources, which is in the same ballpark as
> the ports tree (~24k ports).
>
> DES
> --
> Dag-Erling Smørgrav - d...@des.no

For me , actually , important problem is "How many packages are supplied
with a distribution .iso ?"

This point is important , because when a distribution is installed  ,
whether it will produce a workable / usable environment for a  (i) server ,
or (ii) desktop user .

I am continuously installing many Linux distributions . Approximately they
are supplying 2000 packages per distribution . With respect to selected
features ( Desktop , Development , Education , etc. ) , the installed
packages is varying between 1000 to 2500 .

After completion of installation , it is possible to use the installed
system without making any parameter adjustments . I am using KDE . The only
required adjustments are the following ( for me ) :

From KDE Settings ( when I try Gnome from its menus ) :

Disable screen saver ,
Disable power saving ,
Disable gesture , etc. usage ,
Enable removable media automatic mount

In Dolphin ( File Manager ) :

Enable double click to activate a selection ,
Select view mode as detailed ,
Select displayed  file attributes , etc.

These are the same for FreeBSD also ( except enable of automatic mount of
removable media , selections are ignored ) .

The rest in FreeBSD is a nightmare :

As it is installed :

Install many packages by pkg_add .
When a desktop ( KDE . FluxBox , Gnome ) is started :
Mouse , key board is NOT working , they are solid rock .
To mount removable media : I could not find a way to it .

As a result : Only an unusable installation is generated .

For example : Version 9.1 Release DVD has some packages , but during
install , there is NO any way to install them .

It is necessary to be an "Expert" to be able to install them .

This structure is driving the FreeBSD in

http://distrowatch.com/

"Page Hit Ranking" around 500 at the ranking greater than 20 ( means a
small user base with respecto total Linux user base ) .

With this installation structure ( not the installer program / script ) ,
FreeBSD can not be widely adopted , because of like or dislike of it , but
not being able to use it .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk