Hi all,

I have been a member of the FreeBSD hackers mailing list for about a year.5
now and I must say that I was looking forward to this year's 4/1 email.
Last year, I didn't even realize that the discussion of promoting i386 as a
tier 1 architecture was a joke until someone blatantly mentioned in...

To address the actual content of this thread, personally, I absolutely love
the FreeBSD os and the community that supports it. However, even as a third
year computer engineering student, I still have not overcome the overhead
that comes with becoming familiar with the UNIX environment. Of course,
that is mostly attributed to my laziness and my unwillingness to sit
through an entire reading of documentation...

To share an observation, I am a teaching assistant for a freshman C
programming class and I recently set up three FreeBSD servers, one for each
section, where students could learn to develop C programs in an actual UNIX
environment. Here is the lecture that I wrote up to help them learn the
basics: http://vecr.ece.villanova.edu/bk/fc/labs/docs/ece1620-l2unix.pdf. I
led the first section yesterday and I have to say that it was an utter
disaster. Only about 1/8th of the class showed even an ounce of interest in
this stuff (as it was something extra and not required for the course) and
I really f'ed up by trying to teach them how to use vi...

Long live the BSD community!

Best Wishes,
Brian Kim