FreeBSD Project Quarterly Status Report - 3rd Quarter 2017

   This quarter's FreeBSD developments continue to provide excitement and
   promise for further developments. I myself have a soft spot for manual
   pages, so it is especially good to see that we have gained some
   documentation for writing them (and I hope that this will translate to
   more and improved manual pages in the future!). The core@ entry is also
   of particular note, with the introduction of the FCP process and the
   recognition of the first non-committer FreeBSD Project Member (and
   more). Read on to find out more about these, as well as improved
   support for the AMD Zen family of processors (e.g., Ryzen), and a whole
   lot more!

   --Benjamin Kaduk

   The deadline for submissions covering the period from October to
   December 2017 is January 14, 2017.

FreeBSD Team Reports

     * FreeBSD Release Engineering Team
     * Ports Collection
     * The FreeBSD Core Team
     * The FreeBSD Foundation

Projects

     * FreeBSD CI

Kernel

     * Intel 10G iflib Driver Update
     * Intel iWARP Support
     * pNFS Server Plan B

Architectures

     * AMD Zen (family 17h) support

Userland Programs

     * Updates to GDB

Ports

     * FreeBSDDesktop
     * OpenJFX 8
     * Puppet

Documentation

     * Absolute FreeBSD, 3rd Edition
     * Manual Pages

Third-Party Projects

     * The nosh Project

FreeBSD Team Reports

   Entries from the various official and semi-official teams, as found in
   the Administration Page.

FreeBSD Release Engineering Team

   Links
   FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE Announcement

   Contact: FreeBSD Release Engineering Team <r...@freebsd.org>

   The FreeBSD Release Engineering Team is responsible for setting and
   publishing release schedules for official project releases of FreeBSD,
   announcing code freezes, and maintaining the respective branches, among
   other things.

   The FreeBSD Release Engineering Team continued finalizing the
   11.1-RELEASE cycle, with the final release builds starting on July 21
   and the official release announcement email sent on July 26. Thank you
   to everyone who helped test 11.1-RELEASE, ensuring its quality and
   stability. [1]

   FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE is the second release from the stable/11 branch.

   Additionally, the FreeBSD Release Engineering Team started the
   10.4-RELEASE cycle, with the code slush starting on July 28. With the
   final release build expected to start on September 29 and the official
   announcement overlapping the end of the quarter, everything is on
   schedule as of this writing. [2]

   FreeBSD 10.4-RELEASE will be the fifth release from the stable/10
   branch, and is planned to be the final release of the 10.x series.

   This project was sponsored by The FreeBSD Foundation [1].

   This project was sponsored in part by The FreeBSD Foundation [2].

Ports Collection

   Links
   About FreeBSD Ports

   Contact: René Ladan <portmgr-secret...@freebsd.org>
   Contact: FreeBSD Ports Management Team <port...@freebsd.org>

   The Ports Collection now features over 31,600 ports. There are
   currently 2671 problem reports, of which 718 are unassigned. This
   quarter saw almost 5,900 commits from 175 committers. The number of
   open PRs grew compared to last quarter, and outpaced the number of
   changes.

   This quarter, we welcomed Zach Leslie (zleslie@), Luca Pizzamiglio
   (pizzamig@), Craig Leres (leres@), Adriaan de Groot (adridg@), and Dave
   Cottlehuber (dch@) as new committers. The commit bits of the following
   committers were taken in for safekeeping: alonso@ after 19 months of
   inactivity, rpaulo@ per his request, and ache@ after he passed away.
   Despite several tries and changing mentors, kami@ lacked interest in
   completing his mentorship, so his commit bit was also taken in for
   safekeeping.

   On the infrastructure side, two USES values were removed because they
   outlived their usefulness:
     * execinfo: libexecinfo is now available in the base system of all
       supported FreeBSD versions
     * twisted: there is only one Twisted port left

   The default version of GCC was bumped from 5 to 6. Firefox was updated
   to version 56.0 and Chromium to version 61.0.3163.100. The version of
   pkg itself was updated to 1.10.1.

   During this quarter, antoine@ performed 28 exp-runs to test version
   updates of major ports, improving USE_GITHUB and SHEBANG_FILES, and API
   changes to the base system. This quarter, the foundation for ports
   "flavors" was committed, though more development and testing will be
   performed in the coming quarter before it goes live.

Open tasks:

    1. The PR load needs more attention, as the number of open PRs has
       started to increase again.

The FreeBSD Core Team

   Contact: FreeBSD Core Team <c...@freebsd.org>

   The new "FreeBSD Community Process" was drafted during BSDCan earlier
   this year. The first such document, FCP 0, defines how the whole
   process works. After some time for discussion and revision, FCP 0 was
   voted on and accepted by core, following the procedure laid down within
   that document. Currently the use of FCPs is entirely optional; we shall
   see how the community begins to adopt their usage and evolve the
   process based on experience.

   A draft update to the Code of Conduct has been prepared by the advisory
   committee. Core is currently reviewing the text, and will soon vote on
   accepting it. Core is keen to avoid the trap of "rules lawyering". At
   the moment, the feeling is that we need to add a preamble to the CoC to
   articulate the goals of the project and to act as a general guide to
   the exercise of the code.

   This quarter has been quite a busy one concerning changes to the roster
   of committers and project members. We have elected our first new
   Project Member: John Hixson, who will be familiar from many conferences
   where he has given presentations and ably represented iXsystems. A
   second proposed Project Member was not accepted by core, but only
   because core felt that Fedor Uporov really deserved a commit bit
   instead.

   In addition to Fedor Uporov, please also welcome (in no particular
   order) Matt Joras, Marcin Wojtas, Chuck Tuffli, Ilya Bakulin and Alex
   Richardson as brand-new committers. We have also awarded Steven Hurd
   and Eugene Grosbein src commit bits to go with their existing ports
   bits. Welcome back Gordon Tetlow as a src committer, essential for his
   new role within secteam. Eric Davis and Rui Paulo have both decided to
   hang up their commit bits: we wish them well in their future
   endeavours. Finally, we must report the sad death of Andrey Chernov,
   who will be sorely missed by his colleagues and collaborators.

   Andrey's death has highlighted another question which is only going to
   become more complex over time. Keeping track of copyrights is already
   hard enough within a mature source tree with many contributors, such as
   the FreeBSD sources. Now we need to consider trying to keep track of
   the heirs and beneficiaries of contributors who have sadly passed away.
   Core will consult with the Foundation legal team to discuss possible
   approaches to alleviate this.

   There have been complaints that the workings of Core are being kept
   overly confidential, and that consequently the majority of the project
   has too little idea of what is going on. This is certainly not
   intentional by Core, and we are keen to open up Core's business to more
   general community scrutiny as far as seems reasonable.

   Core dealt with a number of licensing questions:
     * When upstreaming patches and other original works to VirtualBox or
       other Oracle properties, pragmatically it works best to provide
       them under the terms of the MIT license (one of two opensource
       licenses accepted by Oracle). Of course, this only applies to work
       upstreamed by or with the permission of the original author.
     * The Viking software license is sufficiently BSD-like that magic
       constants from their drivers can be used in FreeBSD code.
     * There is no separate register of deviations from the allowed
       BSD-like licenses in the source tree: any code in the tree under
       other than BSD-like license terms can be assumed to have been
       approved by core.
     * At the moment the FreeBSD copyright requirement to include the
       copyright notice in redistributions in binary form is satisfied by
       making the FreeBSD sources, with all of the detailed copyright
       information included in the different source code files, available
       alongside pre-compiled system images. However, this does not
       necessarily meet the needs of downstream projects based on FreeBSD,
       and given the new "packaged base", adding per-package licensing
       metadata in a way similar to how the Ports Collection works is
       under consideration as an alternative mechanism.

   Concerns were raised regarding the pending HardenedBSD entry in the
   previous quarterly report prior to publication. The FreeBSD project
   welcomes reports from separate (but derived) projects in quarterly
   reports and has included similar reports in the past from other
   projects (such as TrueOS and pfSense). The HardenedBSD report was
   edited for length and to concentrate on activities during the quarter
   in question.

   Amazon is proposing to set up mirrors of the freebsd-update and pkg
   servers within AWS in order to provide faster access for EC2 users.
   These mirrors will be publicly accessible, but the expectation is that
   use will primarily be from within EC2. FreeBSD AMIs will have a preset
   configuration that references the Amazon servers.

   The old, long-deprecated, and insecure "r-commands" (rsh, rlogin, rcp)
   are being removed from the base system for 12.0-RELEASE. Notice of this
   was added to the man pages and release notes in time for 11.1-RELEASE
   and 10.4-RELEASE. Anyone requiring these commands for backwards
   compatibility can use the new net/bsdrcmds port.

   Work to replace Heimdal Kerberos in base with the more widely
   compatible MIT Kerberos has begun in a new projects/krb5 branch. This
   should not fall afoul of any US cryptography export regulations: the
   project is required to notify the US government that cryptographic
   software can be downloaded from FreeBSD servers, and this already
   covers MIT Kerberos, already available within ports.

   A number of Bay Area FreeBSD User Group-related domain names are being
   given up by their original owner. The current BAFUG organisers have
   been made aware.

   Core has voted on a change to the Doceng voting rules to provide for a
   "did not vote" status during doceng voting similar to how portmgr and
   core voting operates. The current requirement for all five members of
   doceng to register a vote on issues was proving to be a significant
   bottleneck.

The FreeBSD Foundation

   Links
   FreeBSD Foundation Website

   Contact: Deb Goodkin <d...@freebsdfoundation.org>

   The FreeBSD Foundation is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated
   to supporting and promoting the FreeBSD Project and community
   worldwide. Funding comes from individual and corporate donations and is
   used to fund and manage software development projects, conferences and
   developer summits, and provide travel grants to FreeBSD contributors.
   The Foundation purchases and supports hardware to improve and maintain
   FreeBSD infrastructure and provides full-time Release Engineering
   support; publishes marketing material to promote, educate, and advocate
   for the FreeBSD Project; facilitates collaboration between commercial
   vendors and FreeBSD developers; and finally, represents the FreeBSD
   Project in executing contracts, license agreements, and other legal
   arrangements that require a recognized legal entity.

   Here are some highlights of what we did to help FreeBSD last quarter:

   Fundraising Efforts

   Our work is 100% funded by your donations. This year we have raised
   over $860,000 from over 500 donors. Our 2017 fundraising goal is
   $1,250,00 and we are continuing to work hard to meet and exceed this
   goal! Please consider making a donation to help us continue and
   increase our support for FreeBSD:
   https://www.FreeBSDfoundation.org/donate/.

   We also have a new Partnership Program, to provide more benefits for
   our larger commercial donors. Find out more information at
   https://www.FreeBSDfoundation.org/FreeBSD-foundation-partnership-program/
   and share with your companies!

   OS Improvements

   The Foundation improves the FreeBSD operating system by employing our
   technical staff to maintain and improve critical kernel subsystems, add
   features and functionality, and fix problems. This also includes
   funding separate project grants like the arm64 port, blacklistd access
   control daemon, and the integration of VIMAGE support, to make sure
   that FreeBSD remains a viable solution for research, education,
   computing, products and more.

   We kicked off or continued the following projects last quarter:
     * OpenZFS RAID-Z Expansion project
     * Broadcom Wi-Fi infrastructural improvements (bhnd(4) driver)
     * Headless mode out-of-the-box for the Beaglebone Black
     * Extending bhyve/ARMv7 features
     * Porting bhyve/ARM to an ARMv8 platform

   Having software developers on staff has allowed us to jump in and work
   directly on projects to improve FreeBSD like:
     * ZFS improvements
     * New Intel server support
     * kqueue(2) updates
     * 64-bit inode support
     * Stack guard
     * Kernel Undefined Behavior Sanitizer
     * Toolchain projects
     * i915 driver investigation
     * NVDIMM support in acpiconf(8)
     * Continuous integration dashboard (web page and physical hardware)
     * FAT filesystem support in makefs(8)

   Staff and board members continued hosting bi-weekly conference calls to
   facilitate efforts for individuals to collaborate on different
   technologies.

   Release Engineering

   The Foundation provides a full-time staff member to lead the release
   engineering efforts. This has provided timely and reliable releases
   over the last few years.

   Last quarter, our full-time staff member worked with the FreeBSD
   Release Engineering and Security Teams to finalize 11.1-RELEASE. He
   also supported the 10.4 release effort, and has continued producing
   10-STABLE, 11-STABLE, and 12-CURRENT development snapshot builds
   throughout the quarter. At the vBSDCon Developer Summit, he gave a
   presentation on the state of the release engineering team.

   You can find out more about the support we provided to the Release
   Engineering Team by reading their status update in this report.

   Supporting FreeBSD Infrastructure

   The Foundation provides hardware and support to improve the FreeBSD
   infrastructure. Last quarter, we continued supporting FreeBSD hardware
   located around the world.

   FreeBSD Advocacy and Education

   A large part of our efforts are dedicated to advocating for the
   Project. This includes promoting work being done by others with
   FreeBSD; producing advocacy literature to teach people about FreeBSD
   and help make the path to starting using FreeBSD or contributing to the
   Project easier; and attending and getting other FreeBSD contributors to
   volunteer to run FreeBSD events, staff FreeBSD tables, and give FreeBSD
   presentations.

   The FreeBSD Foundation sponsors many conferences, events, and summits
   around the globe. These events can be BSD-related, open source, or
   technology events geared towards underrepresented groups. We support
   the FreeBSD-focused events to help provide a venue for sharing
   knowledge, to work together on projects, and to facilitate
   collaboration between developers and commercial users. This all helps
   provide a healthy ecosystem. We support the non-FreeBSD events to
   promote and raise awareness of FreeBSD, to increase the use of FreeBSD
   in different applications, and to recruit more contributors to the
   Project.

   Here is a list highlighting some of the advocacy and education work we
   did last quarter:
     * Organized and ran the Essen FreeBSD Hackathon in Essen Germany
     * Sponsored and participated in the FreeBSD Developer Summit BSDCam,
       in Cambridge, England
     * Represented FreeBSD at the ARM Partner Meeting
     * Presented and taught about FreeBSD at SdNOG 4 in Khartoum, Sudan
     * Sponsored and gave presentations and tutorials at EuroBSDCon in
       Paris, France
     * Organized and ran the Paris FreeBSD Developer Summit
     * Organized and ran the FreeBSD Developer Summit at vBSDCon
     * Sponsored and attended vBSDCon
     * Proved travel grants to FreeBSD contributors to attend the above
       events.
     * Sponsored the 2017 USENIX Security Symposium in Vancouver BC as an
       Industry Partner
     * Provided FreeBSD advocacy material
     * Sponsored the 2017 USENIX Annual Technical Conference in Santa
       Clara, CA as an Industry Partner

   We continued producing FreeBSD advocacy material to help people promote
   FreeBSD around the world.

   We help educate the world about FreeBSD by publishing the
   professionally produced FreeBSD Journal. Last quarter we published the
   July/August issue that you can find at
   https://www.FreeBSDfoundation.org/journal/.

   You can find out more about events we attended and upcoming events at
   https://www.FreeBSDfoundation.org/news-and-events/.

   Legal/FreeBSD IP

   The Foundation owns the FreeBSD trademarks, and it is our
   responsibility to protect them. We also provide legal support for the
   core team to investigate questions that arise.

   Go to http://www.FreeBSDfoundation.org to find out how we support
   FreeBSD and how we can help you!

Projects

   Projects that span multiple categories, from the kernel and userspace
   to the Ports Collection or external projects.

FreeBSD CI

   Links
   freebsd-ci Repository

   Contact: Jenkins Admins <jenkins-ad...@freebsd.org>

   The FreeBSD CI team runs various continuous integration solutions for
   FreeBSD, regularly checking that the current state of the Subversion
   repository can successfully build, and performing various tests and
   analysis upon the build results.

   We have introduced a DTrace test pipeline, with the results and
   artifacts available at:
     * https://ci.FreeBSD.org/job/FreeBSD-head-amd64-dtrace_test/
     * https://artifact.ci.FreeBSD.org/dtrace-test/

   We had team meetings at two developer summits during Q3:
     * BSDcam
     * EuroBSDCon

Open tasks:

    1. Fix the failing test cases and builds.
    2. Create builds for additional architectures.
    3. Add more tests.
    4. The additional TODO items listed at
       https://wiki.FreeBSD.org/Jenkins/TODO .

Kernel

   Updates to kernel subsystems/features, driver support, filesystems, and
   more.

Intel 10G iflib Driver Update

   Links
   ixgbe iflib Conversion

   Contact: Chris Galazka <krzysztof.gala...@intel.com>
   Contact: Piotr Pietruszewski <piotr.pietruszew...@intel.com>

   The ix and ixv network interface drivers support a variety of Intel
   network interfaces, with line speeds at 10 Gbit/second.

   This quarter, with the help of Matt Macy and Sean Bruno (among others),
   we have submitted a review in Phabricator for the conversion of the
   ixgbe driver to use the new (and evolving) iflib framework.

   Stay tuned for the conversion of the 40G driver (ixl), as it is
   currently being ported to use iflib.

Open tasks:

    1. Additional testing.

Intel iWARP Support

   Links
   iWARP for ixl

   Contact: Bartosz Sobczak <bartosz.sobc...@intel.com>

   iWARP is a protocol suite that enables efficient movement of data
   across the network, building on Remote Direct Memory Access, Direct
   Data Placement, and Marker PDU Aligned Framing. It endeavors to avoid
   unnecessary (local) data copies and to offload work from the main CPU
   to dedicated hardware.

   An initial commit adding iWARP support for the Intel X722 family of
   network adapters is under review. This is an important step towards
   introducing full iWARP support on systems equipped with Intel C620
   Series Chipsets. Currently, with the iw_ixl driver, only the kVerbs API
   is supported.

Open tasks:

    1. Additional testing.

pNFS Server Plan B

   Links
   Instructions for Testing

   Contact: Rick Macklem <rmack...@freebsd.org>

   A pNFS server allows an NFS service to be spread over multiple servers,
   separating the MetaData operations from the Data operations (Read and
   Write). This project will add the ability to use FreeBSD systems to
   create a pNFS service consisting of a single MetaData Server plus a set
   of Data Servers. The Data Servers can be mirrored, so that redundant
   copies of the file data are maintained.

   The support for non-mirrored Data Servers is now believed to be
   complete. Support for mirrored Data Servers using the Flexible File
   Layout, which will soon be published as an RFC, is implemented.
   However, there is still significant work to be done, since the current
   implementation of mirrored Data Servers does not handle failed Data
   Servers or their resilvering/recovery. It is hoped that support for
   failure/recovery of Data Servers will be implemented in the next six
   months.

   The patched FreeBSD sources may now be accessed for testing via either
   Subversion or downloading a gzipped tarball. They consist of a patched
   kernel and nfsd and can be used on any FreeBSD 11 or later system. The
   installation procedure is covered in the linked document.

Open tasks:

    1. Testing by others will be needed, now that the implementation is
       available.
    2. Implementation and testing of mirror failure/recovery.

Architectures

   Updating platform-specific features and bringing in support for new
   hardware platforms.

AMD Zen (family 17h) support

   Contact: Conrad Meyer c...@freebsd.org <>

   This quarter, a bit of work was done to enhance platform support for
   AMD Zen (Ryzen, Threadripper, Epyc) processors:
     * The CPU topology detection code was enhanced to properly detect Zen
       dies and CPU Complexes. This gives the scheduler more locality
       information to use when making scheduling decisions.
     * The x86 topology analysis was enhanced to report dies and CPU
       Complexes, in addition to the existing reporting on packages,
       cores, and threads. An example of the new output is FreeBSD/SMP: 1
       package(s) x 2 groups x 2 cache groups x 4 core(s) x 2 hardware
       threads.
     * The amdsmn(4) driver for accessing SMN (System Management Network)
       registers was added.
     * CPU temperature monitoring support for Zen was added to amdtemp(4).
     * In cpufreq(4):
          + Added support for decoding Zen P-state information from
            Machine State Registers (which is usually not necessary, since
            it is largely redundant with ACPI P-state information, but is
            potentially useful)
          + Work around the apparent Ryzen inability to achieve the P1
            state by not busying cores waiting to transition to it
     * The intpm(4) smbus driver was fixed to attach to the AMD FCH
       (Fusion Controller Hub).
     * All MCA banks are now enabled and monitored on Zen CPUs.
     * Feature-bit decoding was added for: CLZERO, SVM features, and RAS
       capabilities.
     * SHA intrinsic support was added to the aesni(4) driver. Ryzen is
       currently the only desktop processor to feature these intrinsics.
       Support for these intrinsics is also present in Intel's Goldmont
       line of low-end SoCs.

   Overall, Zen is now a very usable platform for x86 workstations and
   servers.

   This project was sponsored by Dell EMC Isilon.

Open tasks:

    1. Add HWPMC support for the new performance counters avilable on the
       Zen architecture.
    2. Add support for the CCP (Crypto Co-Processor).

Userland Programs

   Changes affecting the base system and programs in it.

Updates to GDB

   Contact: John Baldwin <j...@freebsd.org>
   Contact: Luca Pizzamiglio <pizza...@freebsd.org>

   The devel/gdb port has been updated to GDB 8.0.1.

   Support for FreeBSD/aarch64 userland binaries has been committed
   upstream. These patches, along with support for debugging
   FreeBSD/aarch64 kernels, have been committed to the port.

   Upstream patches adding improved support for FreeBSD/arm userland
   binaries are currently in review. FreeBSD 12 has recently grown support
   for debugging VFP registers via ptrace() and core dumps as part of this
   work. Support for FreeBSD/arm kernels will be added to the port after
   the upstream patches are added to the port.

   Support for $_siginfo has been committed upstream. This uses the
   recently added NT_LWPINFO note to extract signal information from
   process cores.

   Hangs that occured when GDB's kill command was used were fixed in
   FreeBSD in r313992.

Open tasks:

    1. Figure out why the powerpc kgdb targets are not able to unwind the
       stack past the initial frame.
    2. Test support for sparc64 binaries and kernels.
    3. Add support for debugging powerpc vector registers.
    4. Implement info proc commands.
    5. Implement info os commands.

Ports

   Changes affecting the Ports Collection, whether sweeping changes that
   touch most of the tree, or individual ports themselves.

FreeBSDDesktop

   Links
   FreeBSDDesktop on GitHub

   Contact: Johannes Dieterich <j...@freebsd.org>
   Contact: Mark Johnston <ma...@freebsd.org>
   Contact: Hans Petter Selasky <hsela...@freebsd.org>
   Contact: Matthew Macy <mm...@nextbsd.org>

   The FreeBSDDesktop team is happy to announce the availability of
   graphics/drm-next-kmod. This port for FreeBSD-CURRENT (amd64) provides
   support for the amdgpu, i915, and radeon DRM modules using the linuxkpi
   compatibility framework. The port currently corresponds to the DRM from
   Linux 4.9 and is in an experimental state. It works reliably for many
   testers with modern GPU hardware (AMD HD7000 series/Tahiti to Polaris
   and Intel HD3000/Sandy Bridge to Skylake). Broader testing and
   reporting/fixing of bugs is appreciated.

Open tasks:

    1. Resolve issues that cause radeonkms and amdgpu to fail with EFI
       boot (though there is a workaround available).
    2. Upgrade to Linux 4.10 and higher DRM versions.
    3. Get feedback from broader testing.

OpenJFX 8

   Links
   OpenJFX Wiki

   Contact: Tobias Kortkamp <to...@freebsd.org>

   OpenJFX is an open source, next generation, client application platform
   for desktop and embedded systems, based on JavaSE. This quarter, the
   OpenJFX port was reworked and has received some significant
   improvements.

   More modules are being built. With the new web module we gain support
   for applications that have their own builtin web browser such as
   AsciidocFX. The new media module allows JavaFX applications to play
   audio and video files.

   A port of the JavaFX scenebuilder, a RAD tool for building JavaFX
   scenes, was added to the ports tree.

   The OpenGL Prism backend for GPU acceleration was enabled by default.

   From a mainainer's and contributor's perspective, the port was
   simplified by moving all FreeBSD-local patches to the ports tree and
   fetching the upstream sources directly, instead of using a separate
   repository for them.

Open tasks:

    1. Upstream some of the patches in the Ports Collection.

Puppet

   Links
   Puppetlab's FreeBSD Slack Channel

   Contact: Puppet Team <pup...@freebsd.org>

   This summer has seen the creation of a puppet@ team to help maintain
   the approximately 30 Puppet-related ports in the FreeBSD Ports
   Collection. These ports were previously maintained by various
   committers, and from time to time the distributed maintainership
   introduced some delays when updating a port, due to the need to wait
   for a maintainer's approval for a related change to a different port.

   Puppet 5 is now in the ports tree (as sysutils/puppet5). The C++
   version of Facter (sysutils/facter) got a lot of attention and is now a
   drop-in replacement for the previous Ruby version
   (sysutils/rubygem-facter); it is the default facts source for the
   Puppet 5 port.

   Work continues on bringing in Puppetserver 5 to the ports tree, and on
   keeping all the ports up-to-date.

Open tasks:

    1. The pkg package provider has some minor issues (it breaks things
       when no repos are configured, and is not working properly from the
       context of the MCollective package agent).
    2. The databases/puppetdb[345] and sysutils/puppetserver[45] ports
       rely on Clojure and Java, and download compiled jar files instead
       of building them from source.

Documentation

   Noteworthy changes in the documentation tree or new external
   books/documents.

Absolute FreeBSD, 3rd Edition

   Links
   Official Announcement

   Contact: Michael Lucas <mwlu...@michaelwlucas.com>

   The first draft of the third edition of Absolute FreeBSD is finished.
   It is 220,200 words, or roughly enough to stun a medium-sized ox. It's
   on target to be in print before BSDCan 2018.

Open tasks:

    1. Stare at the wall blankly for a few days.
    2. Fix all the problems pointed out by dozens of community reviewers.
    3. Fix all the problems pointed out by John Baldwin, tech reviewer
       extraordinaire.
    4. Editing. Copyediting. Page layout. Page editing. Re-editing.
       Indexing. Edits discovered by indexer.
    5. Pre-orders should open some time next year.
    6. Restrain myself from strangling people who ask when the fourth
       edition is coming.

Manual Pages

   Links
   FreeBSD Documentation Project Primer

   Contact: Warren Block <wbl...@freebsd.org>

   Over the last year, interest has increased in manual pages, in large
   part due to excellent infrastructure work by Baptiste Daroussin and
   others, and promotion by George Neville-Neil and others. This increased
   interest has been both gratifying and problematic. Our man pages are
   underappreciated gems, but we have sadly lacked any substantial
   documentation on how to write new ones.

   In September, I added a new chapter to the FreeBSD Documentation
   Project Primer describing the basics of creating a man page. It
   includes descriptions of the markup, section structure, recommended
   optional material such as examples, and sample templates for the most
   common types of man pages. The Resources section includes links to
   several external resources, including the excellent Practical UNIX
   Manuals: mdoc.

   While this chapter is not a full tutorial, it does begin to fill in a
   large gap in our documentation resources and provide a starting point
   from which to grow.

Open tasks:

    1. Add more explanation and examples of markup usage.
    2. Expand the sample templates with additional desired standard
       features, like an EXAMPLES section.
    3. Add more sample templates.

Third-Party Projects

   Many projects build upon FreeBSD or incorporate components of FreeBSD
   into their project. As these projects may be of interest to the broader
   FreeBSD community, we sometimes include brief updates submitted by
   these projects in our quarterly report. The FreeBSD project makes no
   representation as to the accuracy or veracity of any claims in these
   submissions.

The nosh Project

   Links
   Introduction

   Contact: Jonathan de Boyne Pollard
   <j.deboynepollard-newsgro...@ntlworld.com>

   The nosh project is a suite of system-level utilities for initializing,
   running, and shutting down BSD systems; and for managing daemons,
   terminals, and logging. It attempts to supersede BSD init, the Mewburn
   rc.d system, and OpenRC as used on FreeBSD and TrueOS, drawing
   inspiration from Solaris SMF for named milestones, daemontools-encore
   for service control/status mechanisms, UCSPI, and IBM AIX for separated
   service and system management. It includes a range of compatibility
   mechanisms, including shims for familiar commands from other systems,
   and an automatic import mechanism that takes existing configuration
   data from /etc/fstab, /etc/rc.conf{,.local}, /etc/ttys, and elsewhere,
   applying them to its native service definitions and creating additional
   native services. It is portable (including to Linux) and composable, it
   provides a migration path from the world of systemd Linux, and it does
   not require new kernel APIs. It provides clean service environments,
   orderings and dependencies between services, parallelized startup and
   shutdown (including fsck), strictly size-capped and autorotated
   logging, the service manager as a "subreaper", and uses kevent(2) for
   event-driven parallelism.

   Since the last status report, in December 2015, the project has seen:
   restructured and finer-grained packaging that has fewer conflicts with
   other toolsets; the addition of zsh completion files; improvements to
   the virtual terminal subsystem, keyboard map, mouse support, and ugen
   and DECSCUSR support; RFC 5424/5426 remote logging support; replacement
   of libkqueue and the C library's environment handling functions;
   several new helper commands; support for Java VM autolocation; improved
   socket-passing code; an extended status API and "one-shot" service
   support; additional pre-supplied service bundles; support for service
   aliases; improved handling of per-user D-Bus services; improved
   importing of MySQL, MariaDB, Percona, and OpenVPN services; improved
   configuration import support; and extensive additions to the nosh
   Guide.

   On the recently updated roadmap you can see plans for even more
   documentation, continuing the work to extend the capabilities of the
   networking subsystem, and the scant handful of rc.d-related items
   remaining. There are also some ideas still in the speculative or
   planning phases, including work that may depend on incorporating nosh
   support into other software.

Open tasks:

    1. Improve Ansible and SaltStack integration (the maintainer of the
       Arch Linux nosh integration has some ideas).
    2. Command-line completions are still needed for bash, csh, and fish.
    3. Document convert-systemd-units for use by port maintainers in
       making packaged service bundles from systemd unit files.
    4. nosh could take advantage of several proposed features for the base
       system:
          + the boot loader signaling "emergency" and "rescue" modes of
            operation
          + adding machine-readable status output to fsck
          + adding runtime support for more clang-compilable languages in
            the early bootstrap stage
          + adding hooks for invoking external configuration import
            mechanisms