I thought I'd try this on a box I'm trying to prep as a NAS, since Illumos doesn't seem to recognise the Marvell ethernet.

The box has one of the new AMD E350 chips etc. Drives 0 to 3 are SATA drives, drive 4 is the eSATA drive for boot. I have a USB DVD reader, which has boot priority - normally this system does not have a dvd.

Mandrive boots OK and sees all the hardware. Illumos was fine except for the ethernet.

On boot I get:

CD Loader 1.2

Building the boot loader arguments
Looking up /BOOT/LOADER... File not found
Looking up /boot/loader... File not found
Boot failed

A FreeBSD 8.2 'boot only' disk got me to the point where it had initalised the disk slices and wanted to connect to an FTP source. Which it couldn't see - not sure why yet. DHCP had configured it OK and a Mandrive live disk was fine including surfing the web etc.

Anyhow - my concern in this report is whether the Beta 3 disk is loading USB mass storage drivers and doing what it needs to boot from a USB drive.

James

_______________________________________________
[email protected] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-bugs
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[email protected]"

Reply via email to