>Number:         161926
>Category:       conf
>Synopsis:       9.0-RC1 bsdinstall disk layout trouble
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Priority:       low
>Responsible:    freebsd-bugs
>State:          open
>Quarter:        
>Keywords:       
>Date-Required:
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   current-users
>Arrival-Date:   Sun Oct 23 10:20:01 UTC 2011
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     Poul-Henning Kamp
>Release:        FreeBSD 9.0-RC1 amd64
>Organization:
>Environment:

        Trying to install 9.0-RC1 amd64

>Description:

I tried to install a machine for use with src/tools/sysbuild, and ran
into a number of weird issues.

Here is a blow by blow account:

        ada0 zeroed before boot
        boot dvd
        Choose "Install"

        Keymap Selection -> No
                "non-default key mapping" ???
                What kind of question is that ?

        Guided disk
                Hmm, maybe I should use the manual option,
                lets see, where is the "back" button ?
                Ohh, there are *no* "back" buttons *anywhere* ?

        Partition
        ada0 Modify
                "Invalid argument. arg0 'ada0'
        MBR

        Create
        10GB

        Create
        10GB

        Create
        10GB

        Create
        default size

                Active partition is the last one created ?
                There is no place I can see it ?
                There is no place I can change it ?

        ada0s1 Modify
                "Invalid argument. arg0 'ada0s1'
        BSD
        Create (ada0s1a)
        freebsd, full size, /

        Finish

        Enter shell in new system

        gpart set -a active -i 1 ada0
                Fix the active partition

        sysctl kern.geom.debugflags=16
        gmirror label root ada0

        Fix /etc/fstab ?
                There is no /etc/fstab ?
                Create /etc/fstab: /dev/mirror/roots1a / ufs rw 1 1
        boot0cfg -B /dev/ada0

        reboot

        Comes up
                /etc/fstab now contains ada0s1a ?

        fix /etc/fstab
        add geom_mirror_load="YES" to /boot/loader.conf
        reboot

        Comes up


>How-To-Repeat:
        Per above.

        I tried once before with a disk which contained a Ubuntu installation,
        there I ended up with partition 2 having size of "-37GB" on a 40GB
        drive.

>Fix:

        At the very least, show people what's going on.
        And for goodness sake, add "Back" buttons, OK ?

        You really don't want me to write sysinstall2, right ?  :-)

>Release-Note:
>Audit-Trail:
>Unformatted:
_______________________________________________
[email protected] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-bugs
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[email protected]"

Reply via email to