>Number:         172882
>Category:       misc
>Synopsis:       bsdiff/bspatch need version information for synchronization 
>with other forks
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Priority:       low
>Responsible:    freebsd-bugs
>State:          open
>Quarter:        
>Keywords:       
>Date-Required:
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   current-users
>Arrival-Date:   Fri Oct 19 16:00:00 UTC 2012
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     anatoly techtonik
>Release:        
>Organization:
>Environment:
>Description:
bsdiff in FreeBSD source is copied from canonical version of bsdiff 4.3 by 
Colin Percival available from http://www.daemonology.net/bsdiff/

There are also many forks with code improvements and potential bug fixes, but 
before starting any synchronization work there should be way to reference 
various versions of bsdiff.

I propose to add version strings to bsdiff/bspatch and print them along with 
usage hints. FreeBSD source tree looks like an official place for the source 
code now, so 4.4 sounds like a good start.

Sorry for not being able to contribute a patch. I am not a FreeBSD developer 
and won't be able to test the patch properly. Neither do I know the standards 
for embedding the version inside C code. I also find it slightly inconvenient 
to have 3 directories and 3 Makefiles to build tools that always come together.

http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/usr.bin/bsdiff/
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:


>Release-Note:
>Audit-Trail:
>Unformatted:
_______________________________________________
[email protected] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-bugs
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[email protected]"

Reply via email to