https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=299092

            Bug ID: 299092
           Summary: lpr/lpd does no longer print since D55399
           Product: Base System
           Version: 14.5-STABLE
          Hardware: amd64
                OS: Any
            Status: New
          Severity: Affects Some People
          Priority: ---
         Component: bin
          Assignee: [email protected]
          Reporter: [email protected]

After discussing the matter in the forum, I found interest in lpd being larger
than I expected, so this warrants a PR.

D55399 started to replace the filename of the printjob spoolfile with the name
of the actual authenticated remote interface name from which the job was sent.

Formerly the filename was decided by the remote sender, and it can be anything:
lpd itself uses the remote hostname (which is NOT an interface name, and by
mixing both you will break any sites with more than one interface), CUPS uses
some FQDN hostname that is truncated after 15 chars.

While I agree that it is a good idea to not simply believe in filenames coming
from remote, it just doesn't work that way. Because the controlfile itself
contains the same name, and this is then used to print and delete the job.
So, in order to change that name, we would need to parse the controlfile and
replace all occurrences of the name - which is currently not done, and so the
jobs do not print and accumulate in the spooldir.

For now I just reverted that part of the change, to get things working.

Discussion:
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/lpr-lpd-is-now-really-broken-in-14-5.103981/

-- 
You are receiving this mail because:
You are the assignee for the bug.

Reply via email to