Are you trying to configure your entire system using LDAP as the database
backend, or are you trying to serve current system info?

If you are trying *configure* the system using LDAP as a database, then
good luck.  Our company, Cybernet Systems, has spent over ten man-years
developing a HTML-based front-end for just such a purpose.  When we (I)
first started this project (NetMAX, http://www.netmax.com/), we evaluated
LDAP as a backend.  I found it too buggy (at the time) for our purposes.
Does it implement record locking on read/write?  Does it allow you to
"batch" your changes?  Does it provide for server start/restart when
appropriate?  Can you do cross-validation of data, for example, can you
make sure that you give the DHCP server an IP address that is not already
taken, or make sure that it is in one of your subnets?

There are lots and lots (gobs!) of these kinds of checks that need to
be done for a "complete" system configuration service.
If it doesn't daemon restarts, batch-mode changes, and system checking/cross-
validation, then you'll probably end up with something similar to
webmin (http://www.webmin.com/).

<PLUG>
You could easily spend years making a complete interface to setup your
server, or you could purchase the NetMAX software (about $500, see
http://www.netmax.com/).  A FreeBSD 3.2 version is in-the-works (a
2.2.7-system/2.2.8-kernel is currently available).  Also, a Linux version
(based on RedHat 5.2 with a 2.0.37 kernel) is currently in beta (the
distributed beta is a 2.0.36 kernel, though).
</PLUG>

-Mark Taylor
NetMAX Developer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]