Wilko Bulte wrote:
>> Several things can cause this:
>>
>> - You are running cvsup with a different umask than usual.  To guard
>>   against this, you can add a "umask=022" setting in your supfile
>>   (CVSup-16.0 and later).
>
> I ran cvsup as root, umask set to 022.

OK, that must not have been the problem.

>> - You are running cvsup under a different user-id than usual.  This
>>   probably has no effect unless you have "preserve" in your supfile.
>>   That's almost always a bad idea except for special situations.
>
> I run it as root, and have always done so. Is this a bad idea maybe?

No, that's fine.

>> - You've accidentally touched all the files in your repository in
>>   some way (changed their modtimes, changed their permissions, changed
>>   their owners, etc.).
>
> Not that I recall having done so. But I'll keep a close eye on this.

Other possibilities:

- You lost your "checkouts.cvs" file somehow.  It's supposed to be
underneath your cvsup "base" directory somewhere.  Don't bother
looking for it, because cvsup will have recreated it for you by now.

- You changed your supfile in some way.

- Your friendly mirror site maintainer accidentally touched his
copies of the files.

And of course there's always the possibility that it was caused by a
plain old bug in CVSup.

> I just gave cvsup another try and it only took a few minutes updating
> some files in the repository. Which looked just fine.

Good.  I'm glad it's OK again.

John
---
  John Polstra                                               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  "No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up."        -- Nora Ephron