:> We don't need the lock prefix for the current SMP implementation. A lock
:> prefix would be needed in a multithreaded implementation but should not be
:> added unless the kernel is an SMP kernel otherwise UP performance would
:> suffer.
:>
:> --
:> Doug Rabson                          Mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
:> Nonlinear Systems Ltd.                       Phone: +44 181 442 9037
:>
:Lock prefix should be added to kernel modules if we want a single set for
:both SMP and UP.
:
:-lq

    Yah, definitely for simple things like this, it will save us a lot
    of work in the future.  And so I have.

    p.s.  I'm pretty sure that the lock prefix costs nothing on a UP system,
    and probably wouldn't be noticed on an SMP system either because the
    write-allocation overhead is already pretty bad.  But I haven't tested
    it.

                                        -Matt
                                        Matthew Dillon
                                        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>