On Mon, Jul 12, 1999 at 10:38:03PM -0700, Mike Smith wrote:
> I said:
> > than indirect function calls on some architectures: inline
> > branched code.  So you still have a global variable selecting
> > locked/non-locked, but it's a boolean, rather than a pointer.
> > Your atomic macros are then { if (atomic_lock) asm("lock;foo");
> > else asm ("foo"); }
>
> This requires you to have all the methods present at compile time,
> which defeats the entire purpose of dynamic method loading.

Pardon?  I didn't see a discussion of dynamic loading anywhere
here.  We were referring to tiny inlined assembly language routines.
The existing implementation is #defines in a C header file.

(No, SmallEiffel doesn't do dynamic loading, and that's a perfectly
fair and reasonable choice for a large number of applications.)

--
Andrew