I just downloaded the latest snap floppies (19990811), and tried installing
again.
My original post (as shown) was/is correct!
Under the "options" screen to set the media type, I choose
ftp...(4.0-current).
After typing the ip address, host name, etc, I then go through the steps
for ppp (username, password, etc). After typing the phone number to my ISP,
I get the message that ppp is started on VTY3 (type ALT-F3). It is at this
screen that VTY3 (or ALT-F3) is not active/available! The only other vty
that is available is vty1 (alt-f2) for monitoring.
BTW- this last time, I used the "CLI" screen to configure my pnp modem in
case that would help. It didn't !

Thanks again,
Mike