:I do not know if it is bug or feature, but it seems that sync(8) command
:doesn't really flushing write buffers for softdep enabled f/s. IMHO this
:behavior is not very friendly for the notebooks and ATX owners because
:before putting computer into sleep mode OS preferably should try to
:write as many as possible unflushed buffers to disk (see
:/etc/rc.suspend). Following is simple showcase for above described
:(mis)behaviour:

    It's a bug, one that I've brought up with Kirk.  The problem is that the
    structures used internally by softupdates are not condusive to doing a
    hard-sync.  This creates other problems, too -- when the kernel
    bawrite()'s a buffer softupdates may write something different to the
    disk and then re-dirty the buffer, so performance will drop if the
    buffer cache becomes saturated and you are doing a lot of ops that
    require softupdates-related buffer rewriting.  Kirk has been looking for
    a solution.

                                        -Matt
                                        Matthew Dillon
                                        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>