I recently recompiled my kernel with the following kernel config file, and
now when I boot up, I get about halfway through probing, and the computer
freezes, accepting no keyboard input or anything else but a hard reset
(reset button) here is my kernel Config file..

#
# GENERIC -- Generic machine with WD/AHx/NCR/BTx family disks
#
# For more information on this file, please read the handbook section on
# Kernel Configuration Files:
#
#    http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/kernelconfig-config.html
#
# The handbook is also available locally in /usr/share/doc/handbook
# if you've installed the doc distribution, otherwise always see the
# FreeBSD World Wide Web server (http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/) for the
# latest information.
#
# An exhaustive list of options and more detailed explanations of the
# device lines is also present in the ./LINT configuration file. If you are
# in doubt as to the purpose or necessity of a line, check first in LINT.
#
#       $Id: GENERIC,v 1.178 1999/07/25 04:32:43 wpaul Exp $

machine         i386
cpu             I686_CPU
ident           "MYKERNEL"
maxusers        64

#makeoptions    DEBUG=-g                #Build kernel with gdb(1) debug symbols

options         INET                    #InterNETworking
options         FFS                     #Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options         FFS_ROOT                #FFS usable as root device [keep this!]
options         PROCFS                  #Process filesystem
options         COMPAT_43               #Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
options         UCONSOLE                #Allow users to grab the console
options         SYSVSHM                 #SYSV-style shared memory
options         SYSVMSG                 #SYSV-style message queues
options         SYSVSEM                 #SYSV-style semaphores
options         SC_DISABLE_REBOOT
options         SOFTUPDATES

# To make an SMP kernel, the next two are needed
#options        SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
#options        APIC_IO                 # Symmetric (APIC) I/O
# Optionally these may need tweaked, (defaults shown):
#options        NCPU=2                  # number of CPUs
#options        NBUS=4                  # number of busses
#options        NAPIC=1                 # number of IO APICs
#options        NINTR=24                # number of INTs

controller      isa0
controller      pnp0                    # PnP support for ISA
controller      pci0

# Floppy drives
controller      fdc0    at isa? port IO_FD1 irq 6 drq 2
disk            fd0     at fdc0 drive 0

controller ata0
device atadisk0
device atapicd0

# SCSI Controllers
# A single entry for any of these controllers (ncr, ahb, ahc) is
# sufficient for any number of installed devices.
controller      scbus0          # SCSI bus (required)
device          da0             # Direct Access (disks)

# atkbdc0 controls both the keyboard and the PS/2 mouse
controller      atkbdc0 at isa? port IO_KBD
device          atkbd0  at atkbdc? irq 1
device          psm0    at atkbdc? irq 12

device          vga0    at isa? port ? conflicts

# splash screen/screen saver
pseudo-device   splash

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device          sc0     at isa?

# Enable this and PCVT_FREEBSD for pcvt vt220 compatible console driver
#device         vt0     at isa?
#options        XSERVER                 # support for X server
#options        FAT_CURSOR              # start with block cursor
# If you have a ThinkPAD, uncomment this along with the rest of the PCVT lines
#options        PCVT_SCANSET=2          # IBM keyboards are non-std

# Floating point support - do not disable.
device          npx0    at nexus? port IO_NPX irq 13

# Power management support (see LINT for more options)
device          apm0    at nexus? flags 0x31 # Advanced Power Management

# PCCARD (PCMCIA) support
#controller     card0
#device         pcic0   at card?
#device         pcic1   at card?

# Serial (COM) ports
device          sio0    at isa? port IO_COM1 flags 0x10 irq 4
device          sio1    at isa? port IO_COM2 irq 3

# Parallel port
device          ppc0    at isa? port? flags 0x40 irq 7
controller      ppbus0          # Parallel port bus (required)
device          lpt0            # Printer
device          plip0           # TCP/IP over parallel
device          ppi0            # Parallel port interface device
controller      vpo0            # Requires scbus and da0

# PCI Ethernet NICs.
device          de0             # DEC/Intel DC21x4x (``Tulip'')

# Pseudo devices - the number indicates how many units to allocated.
pseudo-device   loop            # Network loopback
pseudo-device   ether           # Ethernet support
pseudo-device   sl      1       # Kernel SLIP
pseudo-device   ppp     1       # Kernel PPP
pseudo-device   tun     1       # Packet tunnel, for ppp(1)
pseudo-device   pty     16      # Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)
pseudo-device   gzip            # Exec gzipped a.out's

# The `bpf' pseudo-device enables the Berkeley Packet Filter.
# Be aware of the legal and administrative consequences of enabling this!
pseudo-device   bpf     4       #Berkeley packet filter

#tv card
controller smbus0
controller iicbus0
controller iicbb0
device bktr0

#sound

pcm0 at isa? port ? irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x0

if anyone can help, let me know. Thanks.

Kenneth Culver