>>> A lot has changed since mid-April.  You need to recompile xmcd.
>> had done so.  and reconfigured it too.
> Re-configured it?  You should build it from the port.

i did.  i said reconfigured TOO.

> Did you do a full buildworld?

yes.  and did an installworld, mergemaster, and built a new kernel.  i have
been making freebsds for a while, though i make mistakes all the time and
presume this is one.

> camcontrol tur cd0 -v
> camcontrol inquiry cd0

    # camcontrol tur cd0 -v
    Unit is not ready
    (pass2:ahc0:0:4:0): TEST UNIT READY. CDB: 0 0 0 0 0 0
    (pass2:ahc0:0:4:0): NOT READY asc:3a,0
    (pass2:ahc0:0:4:0): Medium not present
    # camcontrol inquiry cd0
    pass2: <TEAC CD-ROM CD-532S 1.0A> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-2 device
    pass2: 20.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz, offset 16)

there is a cd in the drive and the green ready light is solidly on.

> If they do, and the mount isn't working, it's likely you're having trouble
> with the recent disk/slice changes.  I'm not sure how to fix that, someone
> else will have to speak up and explain.  Most likely syncing to a more
> recent -current would fix it.

than todays?

> Is there anything that shows up in the dmesg when you try to mount the CD?

good question.  unfortunately not.

randy