On Sat, 4 Sep 1999, Blaz Zupan wrote:

> I'm trying to configure my new Compex NE2000 PCI card under 4.0-current.
> Just before the latest PnP changes, the card was just recognized like
> this:
>
> ed0: <NE2000 PCI Ethernet (Compex)> irq 10 at device 13.0 on pci0
>
> It did not display the MAC, and "ifconfig -a" did not show ed0/ed1 as
> configured. I even tried booting a generic 2.2.1 and 3.2 kernel, with the
> same symptoms. After the PnP changes, I get this:
>
> ed0: <NE2000 PCI Ethernet (Compex)> irq 10 at device 13.0 on pci0
> device_probe_and_attach: ed0 attach returned 2
>
> I sprinkeled a couple of printf's through if_ed.c and found out, that
> bus_alloc_resource() fails in ed_alloc_port() in if_ed.c, thus
> ed_alloc_port() returns ENOENT (== 2). Why could allocating an I/O port
> address fail?

Does your bios have a setting for 'PNP compliant OS' or similar? If it
does, set it to 'no' and see if it helps. The current pci code relies on
the bios to program port and memory locations for cards and its possible
that this isn't happening for your card/bios combination.

--
Doug Rabson                             Mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Nonlinear Systems Ltd.                  Phone: +44 181 442 9037