John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> John Polstra scribbled this message on Sep 12:
>>
>> Just to avoid duplicated effort:  I currently have work in progress
>> on a "fslog" pseudo-device.  It enables you to monitor a filesystem
>> and receive notifications for all interesting changes to files and
>> directories.  This includes reads, writes, renames, file creations,
>> unlinks, links, etc. -- anything that changes the stat(2) results
>> for a file, or causes directory entries to be created, destroyed, or
>> changed.  The device itself is working, but so far I have implemented
>> the support for only a few of the event types.  It won't take much
>> more work to finish it.
>
> ugh, why aren't you extending poll to work on files and directories to
> get this info??  it would make MUCH more sense to extend poll to do this..
>
> any specific reason why it wasn't done this way?

Yes.  Last time I checked, our CVS repository contained 50,000 files
in 13,000 directories.  Somehow the thought of a 63,000-element pollfd
array leaves me cold.

Sometimes you want to know about all changes in a whole tree of
files.  Poll isn't well-suited for that.

John
---
  John Polstra                                               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  "No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up."        -- Nora Ephron