Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, John Polstra
had to walk into mine and say:

> >> cvsup-master# ifconfig wb0 inet 204.216.27.25  netmask 255.255.255.240
> >>  media 100baseTX mediaopt half-duplex
> >> ifconfig: SIOCSIFMEDIA: Device not configured
> >
> > You don't need to explicitly specify mediaopt half-duplex anymore.
> > Specifying media 100baseTX without mediaopt full-duplex implies
> > half-duplex. Leave off the mediaopt half-duplex part and it will work.
>
> OK, I did that and it made the SIOCSIFMEDIA message go away.  But
> now it's not showing carrier:
>
> Doing initial network setup: hostname domain.
> wb0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>         inet 204.216.27.25 netmask 0xfffffff0 broadcast 204.216.27.31
>         ether 00:00:e8:18:5b:1d
>         media: 100baseTX status: no carrier
>         supported media: autoselect 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX 10baseT/UTP
><full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP none
>
> Any other ideas?

Is there any reason why you're not letting it autodetect (which is
what it does by default, or with media autoselect). Make sure it's
plugged in, make sure the link light is lit. Try to ping somebody
on the network (or run tcpdump on the interface). You can't just
sit there and look at it: you have to experiment.

-Bill

Work:         [EMAIL PROTECTED] | Center for Telecommunications Research
Home:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] | Columbia University, New York City