On Fri, Oct 01, 1999 at 03:36:11PM -0400, Daniel Eischen wrote:
> But this still doesn't entirely solve the problem.  You still have
> to build and install a new kernel before installing the world.

Of course!  Installing the world _is_ upgrading your operating
system.  I don't see anyone suggesting that ELF applications should
work on kernels that only support a.out binaries.  Neither should
programs that use 64-bit file offsets work on kernels that predate
that change.  (Note that this is entirely different from the issue
of being able to use such a system to _build_ the new world.)

> While this is typically what most -current folks do anyways, it
> still prevents backing up to a previous kernel after the install
> world.

Yes.  That's what backup tapes are for.  If you're going to nuke
your entire operating system, you'd better be ready to recover
from tores.

> It seems like libc should be built to be compatible with the kernel
> that is currently running.  After installing world and testing the
> new kernel, a subsequent make world (or some other target to get
> just the libs) can be done to make the libs use the new syscalls.
> I like to keep old known working kernels around just in case there
> are some serious bugs with the current one.  Once a kernel has
> proven itself somewhat stable, you can then upgrade the libs.

Or, you could do it the sensible way:  upgrade the kernel to support
the new syscalls, and test it for a while _before_ building and
installing a world that depends on it.

--
Andrew