In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Darren Reed  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Well, if someone had of answered my question (to cvs-committers)
> about getting an account fixed up on freefall(?) so I could use
> cvs again, it might not have been forgotten about for quite so
> long.  Maybe I sent the question to the "wrong place", but I
> received no answer to even indicate that!  hmpf!

You gave up too easily.  Do you think we're some kind of finely tuned
engine over here?  Send your mail again to [EMAIL PROTECTED], and nag
them every 3 days until your account is fixed.  (Don't bother nagging
next week, as everybody will be at FreeBSDCon.)

> On a conspirital note, I think there are numerous ipfw advocates
> within freebsd who hate that ipfilter is better >;-)

I don't think that's it.  The fact is, ipfilter was in terrible shape
in our source tree.  Nobody had done a thing with it since June of
1998.  From what I heard, it didn't even work reliably under 3.x.
(Did it even compile?)  Some of its source files were duplicated
in "src/contrib/ipfilter" and "src/sys/netinet", with different
versions of the files in the two places.  Working on it was basically
a nightmare.  I know because I did work on it for a client of mine.

I'm a big proponent of ipfilter's features.  I'd love to see it come
back if it were really going to be cleaned up and kept maintained.

John
--
  John Polstra                                               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  "No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up."        -- Nora Ephron