OK, I've gotten a few private replies (thanks!), and have also read
through several threads in the -current archives.  I think I've got
the picture now.  Can't say I'm all that happy about what I've read
(I mean, having to add to my web pages something to the effect of
"you can disregard all of this information if you're running
-current"), but who am I to stand in the way of progress, eh?  :-)

BTW, speaking of device IDs, if anyone needs the info for the AWE 64
"value" card, I'll be happy to provide whatever I can.
--
Conrad Sabatier
http://members.home.net/conrads/