Reread/reresponse, sorry- ENOCOFFEE:

> > 1 filemark can not be used for EOT, it is EOF, you can't tell if what you
> > read next is another file or not that may have been left by a previosly
> > longer usage on the tape.

Well, read until *BLANK CHECK* seems to be what the driver can and should
do. Let me ponder this some- I believe what I propose actually works fine
for all the devices we currently support (hell, I use it all the time
myself). If you can provide an actual example of a SCSI tape device that
if you take FreeBSD-current or FreeBSD-3.3 and do a 'mt seteotmodel 1' on
and *not* be able to detect EOT, let me know!