Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Looking at /usr/src/sys/i386/i386/identcpu.c I see that the 0x580 is:
>
> case 0x580:
>       strcat(cpu_model, "K6-2");
>       break;
>
> Which gets copied into:
>
> printf("CPU: ");
> strncpy(cpu_model, i386_cpus[cpu].cpu_name, sizeof cpu_model);
>
> But I can't find anything remotely related that would corrupt the
> strncpy to print \^E.

Look again, the AMD identification can fill cpu_model using cpuid.

The code doesn't appear to have changed lately, so if there is a
problem it's probably a matter of some processor being incorrectly
identified as supporting the feature.  Or the processor is broken.

Does anyone know whether the processor in question should report its
name?