> In the last episode (Nov 23), Lyndon Nerenberg said:
> > After you verify that this change isn't going to break things that
> > assume they can see the *argv list via ps(1). I.e. lightning bolts
> > that do 'kill -MUMBLE `ps -ax|grep foo`'. Which may not be elegant
> > style, but sometimes is the only workable solution.
>
> That won't be affected, because anyone that has kill rights to the
> process will also see the full processname.  Now that I think about it,
> I can't come up with a case where this is really bad.  If you're doing
> ps'es with intent to kill arbitrary processes (in the name of debugging
> or whatever), you're probably already root.

This was discussed close to death before the changes were committed,
and the current behaviour (restricted access) has been agreed by
general consensus to be the most appropriate.

Making this behaviour tunable would be bad; it adds another option
increasing complexity, and with the proposed default in most cases an
admin tightening up a system would never know about it in the first
place, rendering it useless.

I'd strongly recommend leaving things they way they are.

\\ Tell him he should learn how to fish himself,  \\  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
\\ and he'll hate you for a lifetime.             \\  [EMAIL PROTECTED]