On Thu, 25 Nov 1999, Bill Paul wrote:

> My goal is to try and get this driver into 4.0 as soon as possible so
> I can use it as a replacement for the al, ax, dm, pn and mx drivers.
> However, there's a small problem: the de driver already supports the
> 21143, although it does so poorly according to some people. We can't
> have both drivers trying to support the same chip. I want to be able
> to turn off 21143 support in if_de and let if_dc handle them, but I
> don't want to annoy people who are using if_de with 21143 cards now
> and not having any trouble. What do people think? Does anybody have
> anything against me transfering support for the 21143 from if_de to
> if_dc? Does anybody have a better idea? I'm open to suggestions.

Why not use the probe priority system. For 21143 cards, return a negative
number from de_probe and zero from dc_probe. If dc is present, it will win
the auction and if not, de will get the hardware.

--
Doug Rabson                             Mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Nonlinear Systems Ltd.                  Phone: +44 181 442 9037