> On Thu, 25 Nov 1999, Bill Paul wrote:
>
> > My goal is to try and get this driver into 4.0 as soon as possible so
> > I can use it as a replacement for the al, ax, dm, pn and mx drivers.
> > However, there's a small problem: the de driver already supports the
> > 21143, although it does so poorly according to some people. We can't
> > have both drivers trying to support the same chip. I want to be able
> > to turn off 21143 support in if_de and let if_dc handle them, but I

having a more supported driver than "de" is always good.
But as an interim solution (for 4.0 that is) maybe it is enough
to make a small modification in the "de" probe routine and
have a kernel option which tells the de driver whether or not
recognize the 21143. Default would be "dc" handle everything, then
if someone wants compatibility with the past they have to turn
the option on (maybe at compile time) and make sure they don't put
a "dc" driver in the kernel as well ?

        cheers
        luigi