> :If you notice, both times it crashed on vm_map_insert.
>
>     Try bumping up PMAP_SHPGPERPROC.  From LINT:
>
> #
> # Set the number of PV entries per process.  Increasing this can
> # stop panics related to heavy use of shared memory. However, that can
> # (combined with large amounts of physical memory) cause panics at
> # boot time due the kernel running out of VM space.
> #
> # If you're tweaking this, you might also want to increase the sysctls
> # "vm.v_free_min", "vm.v_free_reserved", and "vm.v_free_target".
> #
> # The value below is the one more than the default.
> #
> options         PMAP_SHPGPERPROC=201
>
>     Try bumping it up to 1000 and see if that solves your crashes.  If
>     that doesn't work, and there's any chance of getting a kernel dump,
>     try getting a kernel dump.  Make sure you use a debug (compiled -g)
>     kernel.

While I can't say I truly see the correlation, you definitely know more
about how it works then me. I've cvsupp'd and upped it to 1000. One
question I have, is what exactly -are- pv's?

The machine itself isn't under too much load during the testing, and
definitely does not used a lot of shared memory. During one of the tests
yesterday (c89) it was doing ~8000 execs per minute, with a load of
0.23. I've also got plenty of RAM left over. Here is what it currently
looks like:

last pid:  7121;  load averages:  0.75,  0.31,
0.15                          up 0+00:16:15  09:21:55
59 processes:  3 running, 56 sleeping
CPU states: 36.0% user,  0.0% nice, 63.2% system,  0.8% interrupt,  0.0%
idle
Mem: 57M Active, 8412K Inact, 16M Wired, 2292K Cache, 9628K Buf, 8280K
Free
Swap: 786M Total, 22M Used, 764M Free, 2% Inuse

This is basically X, Netscape, and 5800 exec()'s a minute.

I've got debugging in my kernel, and I'll send you full results if and
when it crashes again.