On Sun, Dec 05, 1999 at 07:36:38PM -0800, David O'Brien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Since the ATA driver is destined to be the default in 4.0-R, and we hare
> hitting the feature freeze date; can we make the switch now?
>
> I think it is very important to get ATA into more hands to see where it
> breaks.  It certainly has problems on my Vaio 505 laptop; and I wonder
> where else it will have problems.  Better to find them now than right
> before release.

It doesn't know about SiS 5591 PCI IDE controller, the wdc controller
knows. I'm speaking about boot messages, nothing else. Furthermore the
wdc driver sets up UDMA mode on my UDMA capable disks, ata driver
doesn't. It claims that busmastering DMA is supported and sets up WDMA2
mode instead, I think it's normal as it currently doesn't know about
5591. The WDMA2 isn't really that bad and otherwise I'm using ata driver
quite happily. Just FYI.
--

Vallo Kallaste
[EMAIL PROTECTED]