> I've seen this exact same thing before too.  In fact it was two rather
> annoying things, one being a single solitary last buffer that wouldn't
> sync and thus left the whole fs marked dirty, and then fsck would check
> it, see it was fine, but mount wouldn't recognize that it was clean.
>
> 'Course I saw this this morning too.  Yes, with a new kernel, new devices,
> ata driver, and new world.  'Twas very odd.
>
> - alex

I'd like to add something about the last buffer wouldn't sync. This occurs
when a shutdown syscall is issued when the syncer process is asleep waiting
for a buffer write to complete. The write will never complete, because the
syncer won't be given a chance to run again, and the buffer will stay marked
as busy and become the buffer that wouldn't sync. I haven't thought about
a clean way of handling this situation, maybe some of you out there have
better ideas...

-lq