In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Poul-Henning Kamp writes:
: In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Nate Williams writes:
:
: >I'm with Warner.  If the ATA driver went golden 2-3 months ago, then I'd
: >say go for it.  But not 2-3 days ago.  You're only telling your
: >user-base that they are less important than you are.  (Although, this
: >may be what you believe, so who am I to tell you otherwise).
:
: The ATA driver went golden now, and to make sure nobody is distracted
: from testing it before 4.0-RELEASE is cut, the wd driver will be
: removed.
:
: It's really that simple.

Isn't that unprecidented?  In the past there has always been a period
of shakeout between the two events longer than a couple of days.
That's the part that you are ignoring.  It isn't how we've done things
before.  You should make it clear that this is a departure from the
past, and you should also make sure that the pc98 folks aren't left
holding the bag.

We've been telling people for a long time that the wd driver would
remain around even after ata went golden to support the ESDI systems
still in service.  That sounds like it is changing now.

It just feels like it is being rushed too much.  My objections would
go away if you said it is going to die in the week between xmas and
new years.  remove it from files today, to make sure that only the
really clueful can get to it, but don't do a cvs remove until after
the holidays...

Warner