Yes 2.x went on for too long but I was counting 2.2.x as the equivalent of
3.x due to the change in the release schedule (mainly just a change in the
numberring).

The thing that worries me is the bad reputation that comes from releasing
not quite ready releases.

Basically the real way to run FreeBSD is from source ala -STABLE as we
dont have a binary patching system established like the commercial
vendors.

Its argueable that the real FreeBSD is -CURRENT considering there is no
automated method for tracking what hasn't yet been committed to -STABLE.

It seems there is always a mad rush to MFC when -STABLE is about to pop
out another release and this often leads to less than perfect releases and
sometimes downright embarrasing mistakes.

I'm not calling for a years worth of beta testing ala IRIX 6.5 but there
are probably some improvements that can be made to the release system.
After all we dont have to have the latest set of gcc, binutils, etc
whenever a release appears since we have a good ports system.

My first thought would be for cvs to be modified to require tagging of
each commit to -CURRENT with a flag to indicate whether it should be
merged into -STABLE before the next release (maybe it would indicate which
release this change should be in).  This will make it easier to process
the backlog and allow a longer testing period for -STABLE before each
release.

I hope this doesn't start too big a thread as I'm rather behind on my
cvs-all mail as it is (methinks those people who read all of current and
cvs-all must have a job that lets them do this during work time or no
wife and kids like myself).

--
| Work: [EMAIL PROTECTED] | Home: [EMAIL PROTECTED] |