Hi,

Rather than going in horror shows like a registry editor look alike for the
kernel config, I think that there is a somewhat better approach to the
kernel configuration task. Has anybody taken a look at the configuration
script on RedHat-Linux distributions ? I don't know if it is RedHat specific
or generic to all Linux distribution, but it is really nice.

You just have to type "make menuconfig" and here you go with a fairly well
structure presentation of the options you have to configure the kernel. The
thingy also manages basic dependencies between kernel options etc.

It is really easy to understand even for the non-expert, and for
purists/gurus you still have the text file to play around...

> must be an ascii file that may be processed into a database
> format for use.  we need something that cal be read, diff'ed,
> grep'ped, comm'ed, that can be backed up without problmes, that can be
> moved from host to host, ....

I agree with that part. And I would also add that we need something that can
be used even if you don't have X11 installed...

Just my 2 cents.

Patrick.

--
www.mindstep.com