Matthew Dillon writes:
 >     This is very odd.  Does it lockup with UDP or only with TCP?   And only
 >     with a solaris client?

This appears to be solaris only.  I just tried a UDP mount & I see the
same problem.   Is there anything else I can do?

<...>
 > :
 > :- UDP NFS write performance from a FreeBSD client:
 >
 >     Ok, I'll take a look at it.  I get 9 MBytes/sec writing over UDP links
 >     but only with fast (400MHz class) clients.  With a 200 MHz class client
 >     I am only getting 4-5 MBytes/sec.  Frankly, I should be getting 9 MB/sec
 >     even with the slower client!

The client and server here are both 450MHz machines.  The server
and client are identical (450MHz PII (or PIII), etherexpress pro nics)
except that the server has 384MB of ram and the client has
64MB.  The client was running a kernel from last week.  My desktop
(196 MB 300MHZ PII) shows similar behaviour -- a drop from 7MB/s to
3MB/s.  It is running a kernel from Monday.

<...>

 >     Yes, read performance has been improved in just the last few days
 >     simply by adding a read heuristic to the server side for transfers off
 >     the physical media.

Nice!

Thanks,

Drew