On Dec 12, 1999 at 11:37:42AM -0800, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     I finally tracked it down.  The loss is occuring in the link between
>     two of my switches.  The link goes across my apartment - about 60 feet of
>     Cat-5 cable.  That should be well within spec (you are supposed to be
>     able to do 100 meters) but it causes packet loss.  The switches
>     autonegotiate full-duplex for the link (and I verified that it's actually
>     running at full duplex), but that's where the packet loss occurs.  Very
>     weird.
>
>     I was finally able to fix it by dropping in a 10BaseT hub to force the
>     switches to negotiate 10BaseT across the link.
>
>     Maybe my cable is damaged or something.  I'll run a second cable to see
>     if that's the problem or whether.
>
>     The second switch is a LinkSys.  I have a D-Link near my servers and a
>     LinkSys near my workstation.

Another thing I to keep in mind, is that sometimes the switch is bad.
I had a Netgear FS509 switch here that would eat packets transmitted
through the GigE port under certain conditions.  Netgear shipped me
a new one, and I've been happy with it, until the same problem started
happening again this morning.

Perhaps in this case, it's a bad fiber cable, I'll have to do some
more testing to track it down.
--
Jonathan