At 04:52 AM 1/1/00 +0000, Cameron Grant wrote:
> > Donn> "ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba".  I have the ESS
> > Donn> 1868, of course.  Well, I (wisely) saved my old kernel as
> > Donn> /kernel.good and just booted into that.
> >
> > Donn> Could you also say what was fixed if you get around to it?  I'd
> > Donn> to learn a little more about the sound driver.
>
> > The following things were in the recent mail of mine:
> >
> > - All ioctl(2)s go to see the secondary buffer(if I have forget nothing).
> > - chn_setblocksize() changes the size of the secondary buffer.
> > - chn_mmap() maps the secondary buffer.
> > - chn_poll() invokes DMA.
> > - chn_wrintr() performs DMA emulation for pcm devices with no DMA
> >   functionality(requested by nyan).
> > - SNDCTL_DSP_SETFRAGMENT handles the count correctly.
> > - GETI/OSPACE returns the number of fragments.
> > - DMA transfer keeps running upon underrun. Some DSPs seem to end up
> >   with an unpredictable result if the DMA gets stopped followed by
> >   immediate restart. This revokes the change in
>sys/dev/sound/pcm/channel.c
> >   rev 1.12.
> > - chn_write() and chn_read() returns EAGAIN for nonblocking if there
> >   are no space to write or data to read.
>
>the ess problem was a result of me reducing the buffer size to 8k instead of
>64k to see what would happen.  only ess cards seem to have problems, so it's
>back to 64k for them but 8k for other isa cards.
>
>     - cameron

I have the same problem with a motherboard with built in Crystal Audio :
pcm0: <CS423x> at port 0x534-0x537,0x388-0x38b,0x220-0x22f irq 5 drq 1,0 on
isa0
unknown0: <GAME> at port 0x200-0x207 on isa0
unknown1: <CTRL> at port 0x120-0x127 on isa0
unknown2: <MPU> at port 0x330-0x331 irq 9 on isa0

It works fine with revision 1.14 of channel.c and 1.12 of dsp.c and the
corresponding header files.
The new versions break sound.

Example using the rsynth port

With old version
#say happy new year
I get "happy new year" out of spaekers

With new version :
#say happy new year
all that comes out of speakers is "happy"

Also other problems occur with new version when playing au files.
Thanks
Manfred