In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Karl Denninger  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It looks like ntpd (the new one) works correctly; I grabbed the latest
> from the official site last night and by this morning the dispersion
> and offsets were stable.

BTW, you might want to add these lines (from LINT) to your kernel
config if you haven't already:

# POSIX P1003.1B

# Real time extensions added int the 1993 Posix
# P1003_1B: Infrastructure
# _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING: Build in _POSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING
# _KPOSIX_VERSION:             Version kernel is built for

options         "P1003_1B"
options         "_KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING"
options         "_KPOSIX_VERSION=199309L"

Current versions of ntpd use these features if they're available.  I
think "_KPOSIX_VERSION=199309L" is the default, so that one probably
isn't strictly necessary.

> Ntpd is the "official" code line now - the "x" line is considered deprecated
> by the official maintainers, so if you're going to support the ntpd line in
> the base system the other(s) should probably be removed entirely.

I'm sure we'll get there eventually.  Things move at a stately
pace in -stable. :-)

John
--
  John Polstra                                               [EMAIL PROTECTED]