> Hello!
>
> The behaviour of date(1) is probably specified by POSIX, but I think,
> date -v-1m should at least return a date a month _before_ the current
> month.
>
> Example:
> Mi   1 Dez 1999 15:06:47 CET
>
> (Dez. has 31, so it should be Nov 30, I think).
>
> More confusing is something like:
> alex:~ $ date -v-1m +%Y-%m
> 1999-12
>
> what I wanted to use to create backup folders for my mail-system (all
> mails of the last month are moved to a folder of the last month).
>
> That's weird, somehow.
>
> Is this a bug or a feature?
> Is this POSIX-compilant?

It's an arbitrary choice I made when I wrote the code :-I  It's not
POSIX I'm afraid.

> Do we want an additional option? (I want :-))

I certainly wouldn't object to -V doing the same as -v but rounding
down.... this could also decide how to behave when a -v adjusts the
time onto a non-existent time (say 1:30 when the clocks go forward).

> Alex
>
> --
> I doubt, therefore I might be.

I'm pink, therefore I'm spam.
--
Brian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>                   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>