I second this.  I'm not a linux user, but as a FreeBSD newbie
I had a lot of trouble getting anywhere with console programs,
esp. emacs and various IDE's that I tried to install.  The key
board mapping was difficult/impossible to figure out, and it
also seemed like cons25 didn't always work correctly.  The
IDE's (whose names I now forget) would often draw stuff on the
screen randomly offset by one line or one column, and old
stuff wouldn't get erased properly.  They also threw funny
characters up on the screen when it looked like they were
trying to produce formatting such as colored or highlighted
text.  This made the tools impossible to use.  At the time I
wasn't sure if it was me, my setup, the tools, or something in
FreeBSD.

I know this isn't a very good bug report, but if someone is
actively working on this stuff or if there are any plans to
revisit it, let me know and I'll put in better bug reports
if/when I get a chance to revisit it.

Allen

P.S.  I cc'ed this email to -current.