If I stick an audio CD in my SCSI (rebadged Toshiba) CDRW drive
and try to read data off of it, I get the following behavior:

root@zippy-> dd if=/dev/rcd0c bs=2k of=/dev/null
dd: /dev/rcd0c: Invalid argument
0+0 records in
0+0 records out
<and on the console at the same time>
(cd0:ahc0:0:4:0): READ(10). CDB: 28 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 4 0
(cd0:ahc0:0:4:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:64,0
(cd0:ahc0:0:4:0): Illegal mode for this track
(cd0:ahc0:0:4:0): cddone: got error 0x16 back
dscheck(#cd/2): b_bcount 512 is not on a sector boundary (ssize 2048)

and I've gotten this behavior for quite some time.  I didn't *use* to
have this behavior, as my mpeg backups of various CDs done on this
same machine can demonstrate, but if we can't even read data off an
audio CD with dd then you can rest assured that utilities like tosha
aren't going to be able to read data either, and that really sucks.

Drive information:

cd0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 4 lun 0
cd0: <SAF CD-R8020 1.20> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-2 device
cd0: 10.000MB/s transfers (10.000MHz, offset 8)
cd0: cd present [227322 x 2048 byte records]

Controller information:

ahc0: <Adaptec aic7850 SCSI adapter> irq 10 at device 4.0 on pci2
ahc0: aic7850 Single Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 3/255 SCBs

[This is a BIOS-less Advansys controller, used exclusively for the CD
 drive.  The machine also has dual on-board 7895 wide controllers
 which are used just for disk in order to avoid mixing wide and narrow
 devices in (what I consider) less-than-elegant fashion]

I also say "tell me again" because this issue isn't new and I brought
it up back when this first broke.  Justin said it clearly wasn't his
code, SCSI device or no, and phk intimated that maybe it had something
to do with the blockdev stuff and then handed me several patches which
didn't have any effect on the problem.  All I know is that my FreeBSD-current
box has lost a powerful and popular capability and I'm more than willing
to test patches or work with someone in fixing it.  This area of the
kernel isn't my forte', but my love of mp3s may send me in there at
some point if this is still broken as we get close to code freeze. :-)

- Jordan