On Tue, Jan 11, 2000 at 10:21:48AM -0800, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     Everyone, make sure you are using at least version 1.47 of
>     ffs_softdep.c.

I have.

>     I think there may still a problem but I haven't been able to reproduce
>     it yet.

Don't know if this helps, but the problem seems to occur only after a
certain uptime or a certain amount of i/o operations for that matter. My
uptimes are typically about 6 hours before it happens.

I've had two occurences of it and both times it happend while mutt was
working on some large mailfiles (20 Mb or so). Once it was sorting a file
and the other time it was sending a message and immediately afterward
rereading the "outbox" file.

It's a bit difficult to do anything like gdb or ps once it happens, because
disk i/o is impossible. Once I had a running top and saw that mutt remained
in the "wait" state.

I have noticed that other i/o related things go awry sometimes also with
version 1.47 of ffs_softdep.c. I once couldn't "rm -fR" a build tree no
matter how hard or often I tried. The rm process just hung. I had to reboot
an old kernel just to delete the build tree.

Regards,

Dave Boers.

--
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]