>>  kB and kiB are the proper abreviations, not KB and KiB.  I don't know
>>  if miB or MiB is correct, likely MiB.
>
>       I always thought it was "k/m/b = 1,000/1,000,000/1,000,000,000"
>and "K/M/G = 2^10/2^20/2^30".  Or was this just some convention I
>learned somewhere that I mistakenly thought of as an actual accepted
>rule?

But, with the letter "M" for example, m = milli-, M = mega-

Like Donn was saying, there's no reason not to do it every way.  Have the
different options selectable by either an environmental variable or a
command line switch.  I'd vote for default behavior as the traditional:

K = 2^10
M = 2^20
G = 2^30
T = 2^40
P = 2^50

.. but also have options for showing the entire unclipped file length,
"binary mode international abbreviation standard", and maybe even
scientific or engineering notation (for kicks).

Tom Embt
[EMAIL PROTECTED]