"Rodney W. Grimes" wrote:

> Independent of order of export/mounting the dead lock occurs.  Cross
> mounting via NFS is a verbotten thing in the sysadmin world of production
> systems.  :-)  I have had to fix it at several sites admin'd by newbies...

I'm not sure you are really understanding the problem. We
don't want
to read RFCs or such professional sysadmin red books...

Sometimes we just want to nfs-mount things on the same
machine.

One more example: I don't like /var/news so I mount locally
/var/news
to /archive/news on the same system instead of using
symlinks.
My rc.local manages it for me.

But, is it really so difficult to move portmap to /sbin.
Why?
Linux have portmap in /sbin and it runs.

regards,
--
Jean Louis Ntakpe           Texas Instruments - Freising
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>         Wafer Fab Automation Group